The first Trades Hall was built in 1859 by workers as a rallying point for the labour movement, following the successful Eight Hour Day campaign of 1856. Between 1874 and 18925, the original timber structure was transformed into today’s impressive building, with its classical columns and pediment. It remains Australia’s oldest trades hall building still used for its original purpose. The golden Eight Hour Day monument just across the road commemorates the workers who successfully campaigned to win the world’s first eight-hour working day for Victoria’s workforce. Various rooms can be hired for events, including the Old Council Chambers theatre space, the New Ballroom function venue, the New Council Chambers meeting room and the Bella Union Bar.